Collected over the last 36 years, the Jura Library is a great resource of books, periodicals, and political posters, with a broadly anarchist focus. The library is a collectively owned and managed. It has been kept alive through the donations and hard work of hundreds of volunteers over the years.
Anyone is welcome to come and browse and read the books during opening hours. If you want to borrow books, you need to become a library member (see below). The library also always needs volunteers - there's lots to be done, including sorting, cataloguing, cleaning and fundraising. Please let us know if you're interested.
The Jura Library is also known as the Fanya Baron Library. Fanya Baron was a Russian anarchist revolutionary who worked with Nestor Makhno, Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman (to name a few), to spread anarchist organising and ideas throughout Russia.
- Anyone is welcome to join.
- The membership fee is $10 per year.
- To join, you will need to talk to a Jura Collective member and supply your fee, name, address, phone number and email.
- There is a $5 deposit per book/item. This will be refunded when you return the book.
- You can borrow up to 5 books/items, but you must leave the deposit for each one.
- Books and other items in closed reserve (the small room) cannot be borrowed under any circumstances. You can read them in the library or photocopy them if our photocopier is working.
- Loans are for 3 weeks. Each book can be renewed once. After 6 weeks the book must be returned and can't be re-borrowed by the same person until it has been on the shelf for 2 weeks.
- People with overdue books cannot borrow.
- It is up to you to remember to return the book on time. At 3 weeks and 6 weeks you may get a reminder call, text message or email. After 6 months overdue, you will receive a strongly worded letter/email asking for the book back or a $50 replacement fee.
- PLEASE DON’T steal/privatise/forget to return the books. (Steal from a rich corporation - not a poor community bookshop.)
- Also, please don't eat, drink or do other messy things on the books.
- We may be able to arrange library loans by mail order in special circumstances. Please contact us to enquire.