2009 fundraising drive to own the Jura building
In 2008 Jura was presented with a crisis and an opportunity, and we asked for the help of the Jura community. The bank that held the mortgage for our property called in the loan. They asked us to pay $5,000 immediately and the rest - another $15,000 - as soon as possible.
We can proudly say that with your help we raised over $20,000 by 2010!
The last six months of the fundraising drive were a massive effort, with:
- 3,000 raffle tickets sold.
- 900 existing supporters contacted (including 750 via email, 200 via facebook, 200 via sms, 80 by phone call).
- 200 houses door-knocked in our local area.
- 5,500 letters hand delivered to people in our local area (these letters talked about what anarchism is, as well as Jura and the fundraising effort).
- 100s of posters put up across Sydney.
- Stalls held in Newcastle, Glebe, Redfern, Newtown, Helensburgh and more.
This is living proof of the amazing capacity and commitment of the community that surrounds Jura Books. We all believe that Sydney needs radical change, and Jura is a key part of making that change.
Jura is the only anarchist organisation in Sydney that owns its own property, and one of the few in the world. This is an amazing achievement, built through the effort of members of the collective, and many supporters and friends over the last 31 years. The building is a stable resource for the broader libertarian community; it offers a base from which to keep up the fight for social change over the long term; and in it we can prefigure real alternatives to the present society.
Jura still needs donations
Everything we do at Jura is funded by donations and volunteer labour-power. You can continue to make a big difference to Jura by donating even a small amount. Please make whatever contribution you can.
Jura Books is doing a lot of great things. We sell anarchist and other radical political books at minimal mark-up. We don't make money from selling the books - just enough to pay some of the bills. Many of these books aren't available anywhere else in Australia. We also put on films, talks and other events for and about different political movements. We also maintain a unique archive of political posters, and we occasionally publish books and pamphlets.
All of us are volunteers. Please help us to keep doing this useful work.
How to donate:
- Transfer your donation into our bank account using your own internet banking - email us for details;
- Come in to Jura to donate in person;
- Post a cheque or money order made out to Jura Books;
- Use your credit card or paypal account - click on the button below;
- Send us an email telling us you can help. We will get back to you and discuss the best way to contribute.
Thanks for all your support in the past, and your help in the future!